- Economic Development
- Small Business Kick Start
Small Business Kick Start
There are a variety of programs available to Wayne County residents and Wayne County businesses who are in the early planning or start up stages of their business endeavor. The Kick Start initiative aims to foster entrepreneurship and new business start ups in a variety of business sectors. We celebrate entrepreneurs who are putting their talents and ideas to work for them.
Annual Pitch Competitions
STUDENT PITCH COMPETITION:
Wayne Economic Development Corp is inviting teams or individual Wayne County students to present their business ideas in the form of a 5-min video pitch. Projects will highlight new business ideas, product concepts, or service-oriented endeavors. Through the process of applying, students will learn the basics of developing a good business plan, performing relevant market research, and delivering a "pitch" speech to potential investors. The winners will be chosen by judges from the local business and education community. Multiple cash prizes totaling $5,000 awarded including the project that is most transformative for Wayne County. Winner announcements will be made at the adult live "pitch" competition in November.
Students must submit an executive summary of the business plan, financial projections and a video pitch to be part of the first annual Student Pitch Competition. Read Eligibility and Submission Guidelines for instructions.
- Student Pitch Competition Eligibility & Submission Guidelines
- Student Pitch Competition Cover Page
- Submission Deadline FOR 2023 TBD.
- HOW TO SUBMIT A VIDEO. Please upload your video to your own private account on Youtube or Vimeo. Be sure to mark the video as private with permission to view and download to those you share with. Email a share link to the video to email@example.com along with your Application cover page, Executive Summary (a description of your idea), and financial projections.
WHO: Available for students who will be in grade 9 through grade 12 by October 2023 (23-24 school year). Student must be a resident of Wayne County or enrolled in a Wayne County school district. Student can be enrolled in public, private or home school.
WHAT: Develop a business, product or service concept into a deliverable business plan including some financial projections, then video tape your team pitching the business.
WHEN: Start preparing now. Deadline for submissions will be TBD. No fee to participate.
WHERE: Video submissions will be evaluated privately. Winners will be contacted and videos will be presented to the public at the Live "Pitch" competition in November.
If you have any questions about Student Pitch application, contact Deb Hall at 315-946-5919.
RESOURCES FOR MENTORS AND STUDENTS
- How to Write an Executive Summary
- Financial Projection Excel Sheet (Please use this for your submission.)
- Presentation Overview
- See Resources under Adult Competition and SCORE Workshops (see links to pre-recorded videos below).
ADULT PITCH COMPETITION:
This competition is open to all Wayne County residents who have a new business (less than three years old), a new business idea, or are in the concept stage of developing a business in Wayne County. The Winner will receive a cash award to kick start their new business.
Hear what past winners have to say about the Pitch Competition: (click on photo to see video).
- 2022 winner, The Fairville Baker
- 2021 winner, Sodus Bay Outfitters
- 2020 winner, Agri-trak
- 2019 winner, Load Alone
Adult Pitch applicants must review and adhere to these following items. Terms and conditions could change.
- 2023 Adult Pitch Competition deadlines, application, and eligibility and guidelines coming soon.
If you have any questions about Adult Pitch application, contact Katie Bronson at firstname.lastname@example.org 315-946-5920.
RESOURCES FOR ADULT PITCH APPLICANTS
1. Sample Documents for applicants to use when preparing their business plan. NOTE: If you did not attend a live session, you must watch one of the video below and submit the Business Model Canvas*.
- *Business Model Canvas (PDF)
- Financial Statements (Excel Sheet)
- Business Resources List (PDF)
- Cash Flow Template (Excel Sheet)
2. Online SCORE workshops SCORE Workshops are free to all participants. All applicants are required to complete at least one workshop of your choice before submitting your Adult Pitch application. The first 6 Workshops will be available via Zoom.
Workshops Recorded 2022
- July 26, 2022 - Intros and the Business Model Canvas(link to recorded workshop)
- August 2, 2022 - Sales and Marketing(link to recorded workshop)
- August 9, 2022 - Accounting, Financials, and Budgeting(link to recorded workshop)
- August 16, 2022 - Insurance and Legal Entities(link to recorded workshop)
- August 23, 2022 - Banking and Pricing (link to recorded workshop)
- August 30, 2022 at 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM - In-depth Financial Review Wrap Up
- Insurance Needs
3. SCORE Mentors For more information on the SCORE organization or for a private consultation with a SCORE mentor, view the SCORE mentoring website.
4. The New York Small Business Development Center (NYSBDC) provides small business owners and entrepreneurs in New York with one-on-one business counseling, training, and business research. All advisement is free and confidential. For more information visit the New York Small Business Development Center website and start by making an appointment with a Certified Business Advisor.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the required application for any of the programs linked above, and include required documents. If proof of attendance is required for SCORE workshops, please include that documentation with your application. If required, send application fee (payable to WEDC). Payment must be sent by mail or hand-delivered to the address shown here before the deadline.
Mail or Deliver Applications & Documents to:
Wayne Economic Development Corporation
Attn: (Write in name of program)
9 Pearl Street, 2nd Floor
Lyons, NY 14489
Email Submission: If you intend to email an application and documents, all attached file types must be in PDF format under 15 MB total and labeled with your business name. Student Pitch applicants must contact Deb Hall for video submission instructions.
Once an application is received, it will be reviewed for completeness. You will be notified that it was received and if any information is missing. Please refer to FAQ or Guideline documents for further details. We ask for your patience while we carefully go through this process of reviewing and judging projects. Thank you in advance for your interest in Kick Starting your business in Wayne County.