- Events Calendar
Wayne County Historical Society, Museum of Wayne County History
21 Butternut Street, Lyons 14489. Hours through 2020 November 30: Tuesday-Friday 10-4, Saturdays by appointment. December 1- 2021 April 1 open by appointment only. To find out more about the museum, its exhibits, programs, special events, and volunteer opportunities, call 315 946-4943 or visit the Wayne County Historical Society website, and face book page . 2020 exhibit “The Fabulous Fifties” delves into the life and times of the 1950’s in Wayne County. Due to the pandemic, and a few months of closure per NYS COVID-reopening rules, we are leaving this GREAT exhibit up through at least the first half of next season.
Newark-Arcadia Historical Museum
120 High Street, Newark NY. Open Saturdays year round, 1:00-3:00 p.m. (or by appointment other days). Free admission (donations accepted). Well-stocked research room and gift shop. Permanent exhibits on the Erie Canal, Spiritualism, Jackson& Perkins Rose Gardens, Sarah Coventry & Emmons Jewelers, Bloomer Bros. Co., Edgett-Burnham Canning Co., Reed Mfg. Co., Downtown Newark, and much more. Special changing exhibits. Tours welcome.
Visit the Newark-Arcadia Historical Museum's website email the Newark-Arcadia Historical Museum; phone 315-331-6409.
Hoffman Clock Museum & Newark Public Library are across the street from the museum.
Marbletown Schoolhouse , built in 1876, is open Saturdays, 1:00-3:00 p.m., July through September (other times by appointment). 6631 Miller Road, Newark. (take Rt. 88-S to Silver Hill Rd. Drive east 1.5 miles). Free admission. Tours are very welcome. Info: 315-331-6409.
Butler Historical Preservation Society
has 2 museums. Butler Center Church Museum is located in Butler at 4518 Butler Center Road. Roe Cobblestone Schoolhouse is located 4576 VanVleck Road, Wolcott at the intersection with State Route 89. They are open by appointment ONLY. Call Lori Schmidt 315-365-3080 at least 24 hours in advance, please. Visit The Butler Historical Preservation Society's Facebook Page.
Galen Historical Society
has 2 museums located in the Village of Clyde. The Mill museum located at 14 Sodus Street houses a large collection of farm implements, household items, and the Sports Hall of Fame. The Brick Church Museum located at 31 North Park has displays including the Clyde Glass Works, Morrison Printing Press, Modes of travel, Business, Military, Churches, and a large collection of Genealogy Records. Summer Hours June 1 – August 31: Wednesday 1-3, Saturday 10-noon with expansion during Memorial Day, Erie Canal Bike Tour in July, Clyde Community Festival in August, Autumn Tourism Saturdays in September & October, Veterans Day (2020 CANCELLED), Christmas Open House in December. Key holders are available to open Museum for tours at request. Galen Historical Society 315-923-7150. Email the Galen Historical Society. Visit the Galen Historical Society's Website. Visit the Galen Historical Society's Facebook Page.
Lyons Heritage Society owns and operates the Hotchkiss Essential Oil Co. Peppermint Museum
at the corner of Water Street and Leach Road, Lyons. Tours are available by calling 315-879-7617. Lyons Heritage Society also has a number of gift items in their Peppermint Shoppe: peppermint soaps and lotions, Hotchkiss label tea towels, Leman’s Gourmet Peppermints, Hotchkiss History Books, peppermint candies, postcards and books. All proceeds go to the Lyons Heritage Society for its ongoing commitment to preserving the history of Lyons and maintaining the Peppermint Museum.
Lyons history “Winston Dobbins’ Old Geezer Network”
Several years ago, the late Winston Dobbins, a man who loved all things Lyons, created the #147;Old Geezer Network”. The network is an informal e-mail sharing of pictures, newspaper articles and memories of life in early Lyons. When Winston became ill and could no longer head the network, he asked Allyn Perry and Andi Evangelist to take over his position. Topics covered vary from week to week. Most recently there was an active discussion about car dealerships. The question, “Who sold Studebakers in Lyons and where was the shop located?” set off a flurry of varying opinions. Eventually the question was answered to everyone’s satisfaction after photos of newspaper ads were offered as proof. Some members are quick to become involved in the e-mail conversation and others just sit back and read what others write. Either approach is fine. The present “Geezer” membership ranges in age from 30ish to 90ish and includes people who still live in Lyons and those who have long since moved away. There is no fee to join. Anyone who is interested in remembering or learning about Lyons history is welcome to join. For more information or to sign up to become a member of Winston Dobbins’ Old Geezer Network, e-mail Andi Evangelist at email@example.com.
Macedon Historical Society mission:
to promote and encourage historical research and preservation regarding the community of Macedon NY and to disseminate that information. Meetings are second Tuesday of each month, 6pm. Dec-Feb meet at Town Office Building, Aldrich Room, 32 Main Street, Macedon 14502. March-Nov meet at Macedon Academy, 1185 Macedon Center Road, Macedon Center NY. Academy Open House last Sunday of months June-Sept, 2-4pm. Admission free, with donations greatly appreciated. http://www.macedonhistoricalsociety.org/
Marion Historic Association Museum
3827 North Main Street, Marion. Visit the Marion Historic Association Museum Facebook Page 315 926-5816.
Ontario Heritage Square Museum
open Saturday and Sunday afternoon 1:30-4pm, June – November, 2021 June 5 open. Located at 7147 Ontario Center Road, Ontario NY 14519. Heritage Square Museum is owned and operated by the Town of Ontario Historical and Landmark Preservation Society. Visit www.heritagesquaremuseum.org https://www.facebook.com/Hojackline1874/
W.Y. Emery 1867 Schooner artifacts and photos remain on display at the Town of Ontario’s Heritage Square Museum, Ontario, NY
This ship sank in 1899 off Bear Creek Harbor in the Town of Ontario in Wayne County. A painting by R. Stevens of the famous Lake Ontario 1787 English war ship the H.M.S. Ontario is also on display. Learn about Bear Creek Harbor’s history from the early days of iron ore to atomic energy today.
Located at Brick Church Corners, 7147 Ontario Center Road, Heritage Square Museum is owned and operated by the Town of Ontario Historical and Landmark Preservation Society. This 19th century crossroads community is a 13-acre site that includes historical buildings such as the Ruffell log cabin (discover the secret behind the mantel clock), the Brick Church one-room schoolhouse, the Warner house (have you ever seen a Seraphine?), old town jail, apple dry house, Baptist Meeting House and the recently restored Hojack train station. All buildings have been carefully furnished with period artifacts and great displays. And don’t forget to visit the gift shop in the Hojack station to take home a special memory.
Historic Palmyra has 5 museums at 1 destination and offers guided tours of all buildings.
- The Palmyra Historical Museum 132 Market Street is a 23 room old hotel, boarding house, and tavern themed in the most relevant and interesting collection.
- The Historic Palmyra Erie Canal Depot 136 Market Street offers hands on, video, and a scale diorama of Lock 60 in Macedon.
- The Historic Palmyra Print Shop 140-1/2 Market Street features printing presses from the John M. Jones Company circa 1870-1920. Zinc type, linotype, typewriters, lithostones from 1820 to 1972 with hands book mark or card making.
- The Wm. Phelps General Store and home museums 140 Market Street two floors of an original Erie Canal building serving the new Erie in 1826 through to 1940.
- The Alling Coverlet Museum 122 William Street holds the largest collection of hand woven coverlets (bed covers) in America.
Call for information at (315) 597-6981 or email Historic Palmyra or visit the Historic Palmyra's website
Hours of operation: Open all year
2020 September, museums are open Tues-Fri 10am-4pm, Saturday by appointment. Masks required for anyone entering the building who is over the age of 2 and is medically able to wear one. Guests will be asked to sign a waiver and certification. Tours will be limited to the party you arrive with. Please be patient, as there may be increased wait times. Many upcoming events have been canceled or postponed. Please watch our website www.historicpalmyrany.com for the latest updates. Ghost hunts can be booked under new guidelines. Please contact us.
Please consider contactless payments. Tickets can be purchased and donations can be made online. Please visit the Historic Palmyra's online store. We can also take credit card payments over the phone.
Historic Palmyra is a Blue Star Museum for our active duty military and their immediate family.
Williamson-Pultneyville Historical Society Museum and Gift Shop
open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoon, 1-4pm, 3rd weekend in June-Columbus Day, 2021 June 18-October 11. Located at 4130 Mill Street, Pultneyville. Visit Williamson-Pultneyville Historical Society web site: W-PHS phone: (315) 589-9892. Visit Williamson-Pultneyville Historical Society Museum and Gift Shop Facebook Page
Sodus Bay Lighthouse Museum
open Tuesday through Sunday and Monday holidays, 2019 May 15 through October 15. 12-5pm May, September and October. 10am-5pm June, July and August. Located at 7606 N Ontario St, Sodus Point NY 14555-9536. Visit the Sodus Bay Historical Society web site Phone: (315) 483-4936
2257 Academy Street, Walworth. Museum Hours by appointment only for remainder of 2020. Visit the Walworth Museum's website. To schedule a visit please call Jessie Keymel 315 524-9205.
Wolcott Historical Society Northup Carriage House
2019 open May and June first and third Saturdays 10am – 2pm (May 4, 18, June 1, 15). Open July and August every Saturday 10am-2pm (July 6,13,20,27, August 3,10,17,24,31) Located 5994 Jefferson Street, Wolcott NY 14590.
The Discovery Edition of “Legend of the Lake”, the story British warship HMS Ontario is now available with many fantastic images of the shipwreck that Dan Scoville and I, Jim Kennard, found in May 2008.
“Gillette Wall Map 1858 Wayne County, New York” books available for $10 each at the Office of the County Historian Wayne County NY, Public Safety Building 7376 State Route 31, STE 100 Lyons NY 14489
These newly reprinted books contain indexed maps of each town and hamlet in Wayne county in 1858. The index cross-references settlers/businesses names and locations. An original Gillette Wall Map is on the wall of the County Clerk’s Office located on the first floor of 9 Pearl Street, Lyons.
Town of Butler CD with over 100 historic photos is being offered by Butler Historical Preservation Society.
Included is an interior view of the Roe Cobblestone Schoolhouse, a 1917 photo of the Butler Center Church, and a description of each photo. Contact Jim Chatfield (315) 594-9425, email: firstname.lastname@example.org Cost is $15 plus $2 shipping. A booklet of the photos will be available soon.
Andrea Evangelist, author and president of the Lyons Civic Club, inc. is pleased to announce that copies of the book, A Look At Lyons: History and Images of Lyons, New York, are now available (December 2006) for purchase at four locations in Lyons: the main and branch offices of the Lyons National Bank, 35 William Street and Routes 14 & 31; Dobbins Drugs and The Old Pharmacy Gift Shop, 52-58 William Street; and James S. Sullivan Agency, 36 Canal Street. This 250-page, soft-covered, indexed, 8 1/2′ x 11′ publication contains over 300 captioned pictures that chronicle the history of Lyons. The Lyons National Bank and the Robert G. Boehmler Community Foundation generously sponsored the club’s first publication. Chapter titles of the book include Early History of Lyons, Early Government, Lyons Village, Lyons Fire Department, Lyons Schools, Lyons Library, Entertainment, Medical Care In Lyons, Slavery & Underground Railroad, Taverns & Hotels, Joppa, Prohibition, Transportation, The Canal, Communication, Alloway, Ethnic Heritage, Lyons Organizations, Lyons Businesses, Lyons Churches, Memories, Myths & Trivia, The Easterly Murders, and Appendix. Books are being sold for $25 a copy. Profits made from book sales will go to fund future Lyons Civic Club, Inc. publications and club activities. To order a book for shipping, please call 315-946-3367 or 315-946-9340. There is an additional $5 charge to cover shipping and handling costs.