Wayne County Aging and Youth
Caregiver Support Group
2nd Wednesday of the Month
Via Zoom From 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
Take a caregiver stress quiz
We contract with Lifetime Care and Trusted Choice Homecare as well as employing our own aides to provide personal care and homemaker services. The cost of service is based on income and many individuals receive service at no cost. The goal of the program is to help seniors continue to live safely and independently in their own homes or apartments.
Caseworkers are available to meet with seniors and their family members to assess the need for a variety of community-based services and to assist with organizing and setting up these services. The goal of case management is to assist seniors in preserving or increasing their independence and to stay safely in their own homes and apartments as long as possible. There is no cost for case management.
Caregivers are encouraged to call with any questions or concerns. Our NY Connects staff or case management staff will do our best to connect you with needed resources or answer your questions. We offer a monthly online support group for Caregivers every second Wednesday of the month from 12:30-1:30pm. Please contact our office to register for this.
Our contract with Legal Assistance of the Finger Lakes provides professional legal counseling and representation in certain civil matters to the seniors of Wayne County. There is no cost for this service, but donations are appreciated.
Personal Emergency Response System
Personal emergency response units are available to people who are generally alone for at least eight hours a day and who have health conditions that may require immediate help. The Department now contracts with a monitoring service to provide, maintain and monitor the units in an effort to keep up with the technology and provide the best possible service. An assessment is done to determine eligibility, but finances are not a factor and units are available at no cost. Contributions to offset program expenses are appreciated.
Whether you choose not to drive or prefer the convenience of door-to-door transportation, the Department of Aging and Youth can help you get to where you need to go. Service is available to Wayne County residents age 60 and older. Rides are scheduled on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Powerful Tools for Caregivers - is a six week self-care educational workshop for family caregivers to learn skills & community resources, deal with stress and increase coping skills. Classes are held at Department of Aging & Youth during selected times throughout the year. Please call us at (315) 946-5624 to register or email us
- Caregiver Resources - You're tired of general information. Our learning platform addresses real issues, showing you how with in-depth lessons, practical steps, and guided support from a care manager
- Caregiver Support Group: Newark, Wayne - Alzheimer’s Association® support groups, conducted by trained facilitators, are a safe place for people living with dementia and their care partners
- New York State Caregiving & Respite Coalition - through training and education, we focus on increasing caregivers' access to respite resources
- Personal Health Journals For Any Condition - Caring Bridge believes it is their mission to build bridges of care and communication providing love and support on a health journey
- Project Lifesaver - uses state of the art technology in assisting those who care for loved ones with Alzheimer’s and other Related Mental Dysfunction Disorders (ARMD) who become lost. These loved ones include the elderly and even the youngest in the community who are afflicted with Down Syndrome and Autism
- Trualta - a personalized, skills-based training platform for family members caring for aging loved ones living at home
- Safe Driving Guide for Older Adults